Monday, December 10, 2012

Lesson in love from a black Lab...



This is my dog Max, he's a surrogate child really and often get called names of affection like Maxi Maxamus or Maxi Moo Moo depending on how bereft of little children I feel (now being the mother of teenagers!) Max has an enormous appetite, he doesn't eat till he's full he'll eat till he's too tired to eat any more - actually that's a bit like my teenage son...
Max's love for me is exuberant and unconditional. If I get up he follows, if I sit down he lies at my feet, if I tell him to do something he gets on and does it. Max trusts that he is safe in my care and allows me to inspect an injured paw even when it hurts. If he's sick Max knows I'll look after him because he belongs to me. When our Kids dress him up in their clothes or wrestle with him, Max knows he's part of our family and joins in this daftness with the gusto that is the family Tong!

I wonder can we learn something from Max? What do we have an appetite for - our own will or God's? I find I usually loose my appetite because I've been filling up on rubbish and haven't taken the time to cook then savour my food. This is easy to do over the holidays when routines change, T.V.'s good and the house is busy. There are parallels between this and the spirit realm. When we take time to feed on the word of God, when we talk about it, pull it apart and find meaning in it, we develop a God hunger our appetite increases and we find ourselves wanting more. We find a new appreciation for the bible study or worship some one's prepared and set before us, it nourishes and blesses.

But back to Max... Do we follow our master's voice obediently getting on with what we're told to do? I see folks all the time who want to follow God without obeying His game plan; their lives are one train crash after another. This is so sad because God only wants us to do life His way for our protection and good. Do we go where He leads do we enjoy sitting at His feet, spending time with Him? There are so many ways to connect, through music, sermons, pod casts, fabulous blogs! However you seek to develop in your relationship with God doesn't matter what matter's is that you find someway of connecting which works for you.  Do you trust your Master even when life hurts? Do you know God will look after you, He will never abandon you. Do you know you are part of a huge wonderfully wacky family, the family of believers? Can I encourage you to join in with gusto into their antics don't play it safe - Max doesn't. 

love Ruth x






No comments:

Post a Comment