Monday, August 20, 2012

Why advice is a gift from God...

The word advice has kinda negative coronations. It conjures up images of a mother with hands on hips telling you stuff you knew already which only serves to compound your sense of stupidity for doing that thing you already knew was dumb! Or maybe that's just my childhood in a sound bite...Doh! 
Anyway... I spoke to someone a few years ago who'd written a novel, which kept being knocked by publishers, so they asked me to have a read through and give them feedback. The premise was good but their writing style overloaded the reader with unnecessary information which really distracted from the storyline. Now I know us writer's can be a sensitive bunch so I made some gentle suggestions to tighten and improve the script. While they agreed with much of what I recommended they simply didn't want to make the necessary changes. I wonder is this perhaps our human nature? Do we ask for advice but if it doesn't fit in with what we actually want we disregard it.You see advice is only useful if we actually receive it and do something with it. I know it's obvious but I'm gonna say it anyway peeps... only seek advice from someone who models wisdom. When I was studying I'd get my husband to read through my essays with 'fresh eyes', it was amazing what he'd see that I had totally missed. This is why advice is such a blessing because another person's perspective; their lack of emotional involvement, can facilitate the generation of solutions as their creative thought engages with the problem in focus. Next time you ask for a get some advice ponder it for a bit, then go do something with it...

Oh and always remember don't eat yellow snow!


Hugs Ruth x

No comments:

Post a Comment