Monday, October 29, 2012

Cliche` with your Coffee?

I have a confession to make.... I am the cliche` queen. Give me a caption competition and I'm in heaven particularly if the subject matter is something funny - I love to laugh and I love to make other's laugh. So what that gotta do with a cuppa Joe, you cry? Well I'll tell you through confession number two of the morning and it's that I love to eary wig on the conversations of others in coffee shops! I know really is there any hope me..? As I was in such an establishment the other day I became aware of how many of these little cliche` phrases we have in our language. For example 'what you see is what you get' or 'actions speak louder than words' and so on. It got me thinking - do we really hear our words, do we fully grasp the weight of meaning and power they contain? Psychology recognises the influence of our words upon cultural behaviour it has a whole branch ' the discursive appraoch' dedicated to the study of shared meaning through conversation. You may think - cliche` alert sorry ! 'what goes in one ear goes out the other' but I wonder is that true? 

Ponder for a sec about some of the ad campaigns of late - do you hear yourself humming a particular tune, developing a fondness for meerkats or thinking- yeah I'm worth it?  Cliches` work because they fix something much bigger than words in our minds they fix concepts, aspirations even dreams. The bible tells us to renew our minds by washing them with the word. The bible is full of cliche's, promises and truth. God knew we'd need help taking in and rememebring His word. So if you can't get the twinnings advert out of your head try these for size, share them in coffee shops, pubs, school gates, wherever and be encouarged as they will not return empty but full of life meaning and hope.

Jerry 29 V 11 'I know the palns I have for you, plans to give you a future and a hope when you seek me with all your heart'.

Phil 1 V 6 'The Lord will complete the goooooooood work He has begun in you!

Math 21 V 22 'when we wobble in our faith God is faithful.'

Have a good day Hugs Ruth x



No comments:

Post a Comment